Monday, January 21, 2019

Helping More Kids Read: To Max from Spencer


For my service, I know that Max likes to read. My mom and I tried to think of things to do that would help people with reading.  We thought about going to the library to help out or maybe reading to the nursery kids at church. But then we found about the JLO here in Omaha. It's called the Junior League of Omaha who are a volunteer organization who help with lots of charity things.

We looked up "books" on their website and found this "Book Collection" they do called A Book of My Own. When my mom read it to me, it made me sad that there are so many people here in Omaha who don't know how to read and how books can help them.


"Did you know that reading skills are the greatest single predictor of future academic success? Yet, 16% of people in the Omaha area are functionally illiterate. This means they struggle getting through the day because they can’t read well enough to order from a menu, fill out a job application or help their kids with homework. Nationally, on average, children in middle-income neighborhoods have 13 books per child. But for low-income children there is an estimated 1 book for every 300 children. And, according to studies (see below for references), the more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency. (1999. America’s Smallest School: The Family)
A Book of My Own’s goal is to ensure that all children in the Omaha area have a book of their own at home to promote literacy and help break the cycle of poverty. We collect and distribute new and gently-used books to under-served children ages 0-18, then partner with community organizations, schools and churches to distribute the books  to children in need. Since the project’s inception in 2011, we have distributed over 80,000 books in the Omaha community and worked with more than 70 community partners."

So, we thought we could have a book drive and gather books to donate. We contacted the Junior League and a nice woman named Theresa said they would love for us to hold a book drive. We didn't get very many pictures, but we had people from our ward donate, my babysitter donated (she used to be a teacher), we had friends donate, and we went and picked up books from teachers. We even went through our own books and put a box together! 


Here I am delivering the last box of books.  Sorry we didn't get more pictures of the collections.  We got a nice note from Theresa saying how much they loved all the books we donated and they will go to a lot of really good homes!
Thanks Max for inspiring me to help other kids be able to read. 
And if you didn't notice my mom is typing for me while I tell her what to type.
Love Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment